Staffordshire Hoard on Tour Exhibition almost at full capacity
Wed, 27/07/2011 - 12:19
Owing to the overwhelming demand by visitors to experience the Staffordshire Hoard on Tour exhibition in Lichfield, the Cathedral would like to announce that nearly all exhibition and tour tickets have been claimed. Only 212 tickets remain (out of 14,350). The largest collection of Anglo-Saxon gold ever found will be seen at Lichfield Cathedral by over 14,000 visitors between Saturday July 30th and Sunday August 21st. Visitors who have already secured tickets will experience either a timed entry tour, a daytime story telling tour or a special evening experience.
Lichfield Cathedral is open as usual throughout the exhibition and is open for worship Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 6.15 pm, Saturdays from 8.00 am to 6.15 pm and on Sundays from 7.30 am to 5.00 pm. Please see the calendar on the Cathedral website for service details.
Visitors who have been unable to secure tickets are still very welcome to come along to the Cathedral and enjoy a variety of Staffordshire Hoard related events during the exhibition:
- A lecture entitled ‘The St Chad Gospels: multispectral imaging and latest research’ by William F. Endres, Professor of Digital Humanities from the University of Kentucky. The lecture will take place at 10.30am and repeated again at 2pm on Saturday August 6th in the Cathedral’s Old Stables. Tickets for the lecture are £10 and are available from the Cathedral shop (No. 9 The Close or telephone 01543 306150).
- Enjoy a Hoard Feast at Chapters Restaurant on each night of the exhibition. The two course feast includes a glass of the official Hoard Bitter (brewed especially to celebrate the discovery of the Hoard) and costs £12.00 per person. Pre-booking is essential – call Chapters on 01543 306125 or call into Chapters at 19a The Close.
- The Bookshop at No. 9 The Close will be open daily throughout the exhibition where a selection of Staffordshire Hoard souvenirs will be available.
- Music For The Hoard will be performed in the Cathedral in celebration of the event on fifteen of the exhibition dates (August 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19). Performances from local musicians will take place at 1pm for 35 minutes and will include voice, piano, organ and flute. Entry is free of charge and everyone is welcome.
- A photography exhibition entitled ‘The Story Unfolds’ will be on display in the Cathedral Lady Chapel, showing the recent restoration of the East End of Lichfield Cathedral.
- The Staffordshire Hoard On Tour exhibition will move on to Tamworth Castle from August 27th until September 18th. To obtain tickets please contact Tamworth Tourist Information Centre on 01827 709581 / 709618.
Visit www.lichfield-cathedral.org and click on news for further information.
Canon Pete Wilcox, Chancellor of Lichfield Cathedral commented:
“Obviously it is incredible that the Lichfield leg of the tour is almost at full capacity and that over fourteen thousand visitors will be coming to the Cathedral this summer. We are however keen to avoid any disappointment by announcing that the tour is nearly at full capacity and speculative tickets will not be available on the day.
The response has made it clear how very important the Mercian Trail is to the region and the Cathedral is very proud to be involved with the tour. We hope that visitors will be able to see the exhibition in Lichfield in the future”.
For updates on the plans for the temporary touring exhibition visit www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk