- Top Sights
- Eating & drinking
- Groups, tours & education
- Weddings & conferences
- Special offers
< Return to list
Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum
Discover the life and times of Samuel Johnson, England's greatest man of letters and famous wit. Follow the story of the young Samuel Johnson from his difficult childhood to national celebrity and Dictionary fame.
Experience five floors of exhibits in a beautiful Grade I listed building including period room settings, an introductory film, interactive displays and activities for children. Guided tours for groups and school bookings available.
Contact Details and Map
Tel: 01543 264972
Getting here and parking
No dedicated parking
Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Yearâ€™s Day)
Free EntryGuided tours for groups are available at ÂŁ2.50 per person, please contact the museum to make a booking.
Claim 20% off all purchases in the Samuel Johnson historic family bookshop. From books on all subjects to antique and modern prints, local beers, jewellery and gifts there is something for everything in store!
Special Offer: 20% off books and gifts at the Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum
Offer valid until 28 February.
- Gift shop(s) on site
Schools and education
- School packages available
- School tours available
Guides, tours and information
- Foreign language guides available
- Guided tours available for groups
- Guided tours available for individuals
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Visitor information is available
The entrance way has 5 steps
Access, lifts and ramps
- Some areas can only be reached using staircases
Services for wheelchair users and those with mobility issues
- Seating is provided at regular intervals for visitors with limited mobility?
Children and babies
- Children and babies welcome
Services for the hearing impaired
- Hearing loop is available in key places
- There a visual alarm system
Services for the visually impaired
- Guide dogs allowed
- Clear surfaces, such as glass doors, have contrast markings on them
- There is good contrast between the floor and walls
- There is clear signage throughout the attraction (i.e. colour contrasted, large lettering, use of pictograms etc)
- The lighting is effective throughout the attraction for visually impaired visitors
- Clear surfaces such as glass doors have contrast markings on them
- There is an audible alarm system