Come and spend time in the footsteps of the city's Franciscan Friars, an an order of monks founded by St Francis of Assisi in 1209, and who created a Friary in Lichfield in 1237, the remains of which can still be seen in a beautiful public gardens.
In 1237 a group of these monks came to Lichfield to set up home. In the town they became known as the Grey Friars because of the colour of their habits Bishop Stavenby, Bishop of Lichfield, founded the Friary when he granted the friars ‘certain free burgages in the town for them to set their house on’.
After the dissolution of the monasteries under the reign of Henry VII, the Friary site was cleared and sold for £68 to provide money for the crown. The church, cloisters, refectory and most domestic buildings were demolished. The only buildings to survive were the Dormitory on the west range and a house known as ‘Bishops Lodging’ in the south west corner.
The remains of the Friary can still be seen today, and are a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The site is now a public garden and the slabs show the layout of the walls of the cloister are visible on the ground as well as parts of the north wall of the nave.
A classical style portico was created in 1937 to frame the entrance to the excavated ruins. The portico came from Shenstone Court, which was home to Sir Richard Cooper.
Getting here and parking
- No dedicated parking
Access, lifts and ramps
- Some areas can only be reached using staircases
The Friary (opposite the city's library)